WILDERNESS IRELAND LAUNCHES NEW ADVENTURE TOURS ON THE EMERALD ISLE
The imaginative trips feature treks to ancient tombs, yoga and cycling breaks, Star Wars encounters and more.
Sligo, Ireland. December 6, 2016: The Emerald Isle’s crashing coastline, sky-piercing mountains, glacial lakes, sleepy surf towns and characterful castles set the stage for tour company Wilderness Ireland’s new collection of adventure vacations. Designed by locals and delivered by local legends, the seven trips bring travelers closer to the source of where adventure meets fantasy and where fiction comes to life. The rock pinnacles of the Skellig Islands will feature prominently in the upcoming Star Wars movie and a small village along the Causeway Coastal Route is better known as the location for Game of Thrones’ Iron Island. With a favorable exchange rate and countless flight options, it has never been a better time to experience Ireland’s wild landscapes and enchanting history.
Wilderness Ireland’s new small-group tours debut in Spring 2017.
- Hiking and Island Hopping Cork and Kerry: On foot and by boat, travelers discover Kerry and Cork, exploring the wildest corners of the striking southwest where tales of pirate invasions were born and ancient Neolithic sites are scattered across the land. Amongst many highlights is the climb up the bare rock steps of the UNESCO World Heritage site Skellig Michael. The Skellig Islands were home to Christian monks until the 12th Century and are now a filming location for the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VIII. Travelers might also spot whales, puffins, dolphins, seals and sharks from the coastal trails.
- Hiking the Causeway Coastal Route & Donegal: The Causeway Coastal Route is home to rolling mountains awash with local legends and myths, the highest sea cliffs in Europe and remote lodges dishing out fresh seafood from the Atlantic. From the most northerly point of Ireland at Malin Head, hikers can look across the windswept landscapes and its ancient archaeological remains, before the ascent up Mount Errigal to Glenveagh castle. Guests traverse the Pilgrim’s Path, a route once used for Christian pilgrimage, to meet with a local tweed-maker still practicing his craft on a traditional handloom.
- Cycling and Yoga Escape: Each day begins with a gentle yoga session to help cyclists prepare for their two-wheel journey in the peaceful north-west. From laidback surfing villages to wild mountain ranges and historic pubs overlooking the Atlantic, this bike tour has it all. Travelers cycle through the charming Irish countryside and across glaciated valleys to ancient castles.
- Hiking the Ring of Kerry Mountains: Hikers summit some of Ireland’s highest peaks in Killarney National Park, Corrán Tuathail and Mount Brandon, and take lost pilgrimage paths along the sea cliff’s edge to white sandy beaches. Travelers uncover the legend of Cú Chulainn and the giant as they explore the stories of the Dingle Peninsula. Evenings are enjoyed in cozy inns with traditional live music and the finest local fare.
- Hiking the Mountains of Connemara and Mayo: Following in the footsteps of Saint Patrick, hikers will conquer three of the highest mountains in the west of Ireland. Guests explore the spectacular mountain and bog wilderness of Connemara, home to Ireland’s only true fjord, Killary Harbour. Watching wild dolphins play in the nearby surf makes the Mayo Coastal Trek one of Ireland’s most memorable.